Doehi does not only offer one of the widest varieties of tea and tea accessories available online, but we continue by offering a wide variety of information about tea. From the history and quality of tea varieties, to general information and blogs for tea lovers, Doehi is your one stop for everything tea!
Speaking of tea history, here are a few key facts you just might find interesting…
- According to legend, Chinese Emperor Shennong (also spelled Shen Nung, or Shen Nong) discovered tea in 2737 B.C.
- Tea made its way to the United States in 1650, and was later introduced as iced tea in 1904 at the St. Louis World’s Fair.
- Second only to water, tea is the most consumed beverage on earth with thousands of varieties to choose from.
- Black Tea, Green Tea, White Tea, Yellow Tea, Post-Fermented Tea, and Oolong Tea are the 6 base types of tea. These six types are born from the same species of plant.
- White Teas are wilted and unoxidized; Yellow Teas are not wilted and unoxidized, yet it is still allowed to yellow; Green Teas are not wilted and unoxidized, remaining green; Oolong Teas are in fact wilted and bruised, then partially oxidized; Black Teas are wilted, completely oxidized, and may be compressed or crushed – in China, Black Teas are known as Red Teas; Post-Fermented Teas begin as Green Teas, but have been allowed to completely ferment – in China, Post Fermented Tea is known as Black Tea.
- Health facts: Tea is rich in antioxidants, may help to prevent a host of diseases including some forms of cancer, helps to support the immune system, and may aid in weight loss.
- The scientific classification for the tea plant is camellia sinensis, which is the name of the plant from which the six tea types are derived.
We are so confident that you will love our tea and become a member of our growing family, Doehi Tea offers samples before you buy. Contact us today for a sample of our tea, and experience flavor and freshness like never before.